Tuesday, December 2, 2014

An education that was special in every way

Today marks the anniversary of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, which is a law that established standards for special education for children and young adults with disabilities. I've seen directly the good that that law has done and I've benefitted from it. I think an education is something everyone deserves to have. I know that I am a better person because I've been educated with the help of special education accommodations that allowed me to be educated at a speed I could handle and with people in place to support me and help me get the things I needed to succeed academically. I hope that everyone has the opportunity to get a good education. A doctor once told my parents that I might never be educable but I have proved the doctor wrong. What I've learned from that is to not let anything stop me from doing the good things that I want to do in life. I hope that whoever and wherever you are that you can get a good education because it's something that I believe you have a right to pursue.  In a way I'm glad they call special education special because I believe education is something special and I'm glad there are laws like the IDEA Act to help make education more accessible to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment