Sunday, October 6, 2013

Maggie crashes a party

When I think of crashing parties my mind turns to the movie Wedding Crashers and how the characters in that movie who crash weddings, crash one last event and find they get a lot more out of doing so (both good and bad things) than they bargained for. Today I crashed a party and got a lot of good from it! Well all right it was a conference but still, it feels kind of fun to say I crashed it. In truth, I went planning to volunteer at the event but when I got there, there wasn't any more need for volunteers. Since I was genuinely interested in the conference's proceedings the event coordinator finally said "why don't you just go and enjoy it."  So I got into this conference that was in part meant to help grade school teachers learn about how to help students with epilepsy. It was interesting to see and learn about how teachers view this condition. I learned a lot from being there. Plus I met some great people as well.  

Ok I know, I was let into the conference so I didn't really sneak in but maybe one day I'll graduate to really sneaking into an actual party just so I can mix and mingle with people. I think I'd feel a strange sense of glee that I was doing something I shouldn't do and getting away with it! ( and I'd make sure I did get away with it!) Maybe I get this urge to crash events from my grandfather who once went to a wedding reception at a hotel and somehow wondered off and wound up being included in wedding pictures for another wedding he was not in fact invited to. As you see, I come from a proud tradition of party crashers and I intend to carry on that tradition with gusto!

No comments:

Post a Comment