Saturday, November 23, 2013

Reading Les Mis

I really like the musical Les Miserables which is interesting since I'm usually all in favor of happy stuff and yet one of my favorite musicals has "miserable" as part of its title. I have to say though that some of the music in the show is pretty. That aside, I found out the musical is based on a book with the same name by Victor Hugo so I got all excited about reading it.   I have found out 2 things since starting the book- 1-that there's not much singing going on in it (except maybe La Marseillaise)  and 2- this book is over 2,000 pages long. Despite these facts I've resolved to stick with it and read it all the way through! I'm up for a challenge! Simply because I like how it feels damn good to reach a goal! I've also resolved to read the book straight through to the end unlike I usually do- beginning, end, and then possibly the middle if the beginning and end aren't sad. ( I figure if the beginning is sad and the end is sad things just start to really go downhill in the middle so why bother reading the middle?) In this case, from watching the musical and given the book's title, I already know it's going to be sad. I've decided to stick with it anyway for the sake of the challenge! As of this moment I'm about 60 pages into it which may not sound like much but it's a start! I'll keep you posted as to how it goes! Vive La Revolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment