Friday, January 10, 2014

Amusing things that happened today in history-just because I love history!

Just because I felt like it and it's fun, I looked up some interesting things that happened in history on January 10th. To increase your knowledge of slightly useless information see below. (Information came from: http://www.historyorb.com/today/events.php.
  • 1912 - World's 1st flying boat's maiden flight happened, (Glenn Curtiss in NY)-apparently boats aren't just for water anymore.
  • 1925 - Miriam (Ma) Ferguson sworn in as TX gov, nation's 2nd woman governor-Texas sees the light!
  • 1932 - "Mickey Mouse" & "Silly Symphony" comics syndicated-It's Mickey Mouse's birthday!
  • 1941 - Joseph Kesselring's "Arsenic & Old Lace," premieres in NYC- Favorite quote from this play: "Mortimer Brewster: [on the telephone] Yes, operator, I'd like the Happy Dale Sanatorium, Happy Dale, New York. Come on, operator, what's taking so long? They're just across the river. I could swim it faster! No, I don't want the Happy Dale Laundry. I want the Happy Dale Sanatorium. Sanatorium, sanatorium, sanatorium. Yes, yes, like a broken record. Hello - what? They're busy? Busy? Look, they're busy and you're dizzy. No, I am not drunk, madam, but you've given me an idea!"[throws down the phone in disgust]
  • 1946 - 1st radar contact with Moon- "Fly me to the moon....."
  • 1958 - Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire" reaches #1 on the UK pop charts- Goodness gracious!
  • 1967 - PBS (the National Educational TV in the US) begins as a 70 station network-today I don't know what I'd do if PBS didn't exist. I suppose I'd survive but I'd never be able to watch Downton Abbey or Sesame Street! Clearly my life would be incomplete!
  •  1990 - "Les Miserables," opens at Mechanic Theatre, Baltimore- they couldn't wait One Day More to see it!
  • 1997 - 1st Comet of 1997 Discovered: Comet 1997 A1-every year should have a comet!
  • 1997 - 4,000th episode of "Entertainment Tonight" aired-I wonder how long it would take to watch all 4000 episodes consecutively (and still remain entertained throughout)? On second thought-I'd rather not find out-I'll just lie down til that urge passes!

No comments:

Post a Comment