Sunday, July 21, 2013

Results from Revere Beach Sand Sculpting Festival

Today the winner of the Revere Beach Sand Sculpting Festival was announced and a man from Montreal won $5,000 for his sculpture of an octopus that was called "Let me Spread Ink." (To see a picture click here.) I know that there probably are sand sculpting contests all over the place but this one reminded me of how as  a little girl I used to rather like building sandcastles when my family and I went to the seaside. I particularly remember going to beaches in Wales, UK which my mum described as "picture skew (meaning picturesque but somehow saying "picture skew" made my siblings and I laugh.)  It was like a ritual-packing picnic lunches and going to one of those shops that seem to always be beside beaches to buy buckets and spades.  I pretty much ended up making sand mountains. I'd keep piling up the sand just to see how high I could get the mountain to go. It rather annoyed me when the sand just slid right back down until I realized that water helped solve the problem by making the sand stick together. Even if it didn't win loads of money (or anything else for that matter,)  making sandcastles was always fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment