Sunday, July 11, 2021

Why I like the King and I

 The actor Yul Brenner was born today in 1920. He's most famous for portraying the King Mongkut of Siam in the play the King and I. I rather like this play because in many ways it's about respect. The play is about an English teacher  (Anna Leonowens) who goes to Siam (now Thailand) to teach the children of King Mongkut. As the play progresses the King and Anna come to respect each other as equals and friends. I've always felt there's an element of love in respect. Even if that love isn't romantic love or affectionate, I think respect is rooted in love because in respecting someone people show they value them and trust them. In some ways I think love based on respect is the best kind of love because it's deeper than passionate or romantic love and more lasting.  Love based on respect is something I hope everyone can find. I send everyone best wishes and much love now and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment