Saturday, August 17, 2019

British Food I like

Just for the heck of it I thought I'd share a list of some foods from the UK that I like. Although these foods may not be the most nutrient-rich, I think they still taste nice and as long as I eat them in small doses, I eat them without guilt. However, I feel like the real reason I like them is because they remind me of my family and lovely trips I've had with my family to England to visit grandparents and relatives there. Anyway, so here's the list:

  • Jaffa cakes: They're these lovely biscuits (cookies to you Yanks!) and they have chocolate on top and orange filling in the middle so eating them is sort of like a nice surprise taste-wise. 
  • Ice creams with flakes. When I was really young my parents would take me and my sister and brother to a playground not far from the house where my grandparents lived and there was this ice cream truck that seemed to always be there and my mum and dad would get us all vanilla ice creams with flakes which are basically fat sticks of chocolate shavings which are super good.
  • Ploughman's lunch. It's basically a salad plate (sometimes served on a cutting board) with lettuce, ham or perhaps lamb, tomatoes, cheese, fruit bread and pickles. (More on the pickles in a bit.)-I like ploughman's lunch because it makes me think of what people ate historically when they farmed. I always liked learning more about history. 
  • Cadbury Chocolate: My mum once took my siblings and I to a Cadbury Chocolate Factory and although it may have made our stomachs ache, it was pretty fun to see how different types of chocolates are made. 
  • Scotch egg: They are basically a hard boiled egg, surrounded by ham and the whole thing is breaded. It just tastes good to me. 
  • Branston Pickle-This is a type of pickle relish. It is an acquired taste but it's really good with cheese and I like it! 
  • Fish & Chips-this is so stereotypically British but I still like it. 
  • Fruit Pastilles-They're sort off like gumdrops but better. My grandpa used to take me with him to the village shop to get a newspaper for his neighbor who was housebound. At the shop he'd allow me to pick out 1 sweet (candy) to take home with us. For whatever reason I usually picked fruit Pastilles so now when I think of them I think of my grandpa. 
  • Lemon barley water. It's basically a mix that you put in cold water and tastes like lemonade. It's very refreshing on a hot day. 
  • Custard-you can eat it hot or cold. Somehow I think it's better hot but I digress. Anyway, my grandma used to put it on most of her desserts and despite my best efforts I've never quite been able to truly replicate the custard she made but maybe sometime I'll get it right!




No comments:

Post a Comment