Tuesday, June 7, 2022

You never know the impact you can have

I just saw a Facebook post where someone had written they felt their best wasn't good enough. Seeing that post strangely got me thinking about how I ran track in high school. My teammates on the track team happened to be really good and won a lot of races and throwing and jumping competitions and I always looked up to them. What I liked best was cheering everyone on and celebrating when people on the team won. Plus my track coach, Mr. Lutzke was super supportive and went out of his way to cheer everyone on including me. I continued to be on the team and run track for 3 more years. Although I never won any of the races I ran in and came in last most of the time, I think I stayed on the team all that time because I cared very much about my teammates and my coach. It made me feel really good to support them and cheer them because they were really good and it was exciting to watch them win. I was really pleased for all of them. Towards the end of my last year of high school, one of my teammates stopped by my house saying she had a present for me. It was a booklet and all of my teammates had written in it about how I'd helped them. I was (and still am) a bit shocked that they did that. I knew that I cared about all of them very much and enjoyed cheering them on but I really had no idea that I'd made that much difference. I still have the booklet to this day and it means a great deal to me. I really still can't thank them all enough for doing that. My long-winded point is that one thing I learned from all this is you never really know the impact you can have on people. Even if you feel  your best isn't good enough, you never know how much your best can mean to someone else. So wherever you're reading this, I hope you always do your best in whatever you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment