Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Things to like about the Disability Policy Consortium

The Disability Policy Consortium of Massachusetts' annual meeting and it got me thinking about the things I like about this organization and the work that it does for people with disabilities in Massachusetts.
  • I like that part of its motto is "about us by us" meaning that research done about people with disabilities should be done by people with disabilities. I feel like there's so much to learn and I'm glad that there is an organization that focuses on research by people with disabilities. 
  • I like advocates for people with disabilities throughout the state on many levels by doing things such as promoting legislation, holding events to raise awareness about different disability-related issues, and encouraging more people to get involved in disability advocacy through outreach work to different populations.
  • I like that they place emphasis on hiring people with disabilities. I think it's just nice to be able to work and make a living. It feels good to have that sense of independence.
  • I like that they have faith in people and stand up for them when needed and that they  give people the tools they need to stand up for themselves as well. 
  • I like that they've helped me grow and I feel like my life has been made better in so many ways and I'm grateful. I love everyone in the organization, they're a pleasure to work with and I know this because when I go to work with them I am happy and when I come each day I feel content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment