Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Favorite foods from the UK

The English cookery writer Hannah Glasse was born today in 1708 and I'm writing about her now because she was celebrated on Google and it reminded me of my grandmother and my mum. My mum is British and when we'd go to visit my grandparents in England my grandmother would go all out cooking like crazy for us. It didn't matter that we told her she didn't have to, she cooked up a storm anyway. My mum also likes to cook and taught me a lot about British cooking. Plus, if we had nothing else in our house, we always had tea. Just for fun, I thought I'd write about food from the UK that I rather like.


  • Fish and chips. It's incredibly traditional and we used to eat it after going to the beach.
  • Ice cream in cones with a chocolate flake stuck in it. A chocolate flake is basically a stick of chocolate shavings that is super good in vanilla ice cream. There was a playground by my grandparents house where my parents took me and my siblings to play and I remember an ice cream truck always seemed to be nearby when we went there and we always got ice creams with flakes.
  • Custard tarts-They basically are very small custard pies. I haven't been able to find them in the US but they are super good.
  • Sausage rolls. My mum always make them at Christmas and holidays generally. In the US it's called pigs in a blanket.
  • Plowan's lunch- It's basically a ham, lettuce, tomato, and other vegetables and often accompanied by something called Branston Pickle. Branston Pickle is a type of pickle relish which is an acquired taste but I like it now.
  • Jaffa cakes-they're cookies with chocolate icing on the top and they have orange filling. They're really good!
I think I'll always like British food because it reminds me of my family and my home, which are two things that will always be most dear to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment