Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The Awesome ADAPT Youth Summit!

 I'm just coming back from the ADAPT Youth Summit in Rochester, New York. I had a wonderful experience  and I learned so much from the event! I was able to learn more about community organizing, activism, and nonviolent resistance. I attend the event with 20 other young adults from around the country. At the end of it we even got to plan an "action" which all participants planned as a team from start to finish. Through demonstrating outside of of his premises, we were able to persuade a Rochester building owner of an Italian restaurant to sign an agreement that he would install a ramp that would replace one step in front of his restaurant within six months. This will ensure that more people with disabilities can enjoy food there. It was really cool that we were able to meet with the building owner and within one hour of us being there he signed the agreement!

What I liked best about the Summit was meeting so many great people who were so passionate about promoting the rights of people with disabilities. In thinking about them all now at the end of the summit, I can't help thinking of how they really motivate me to work harder to become an even better promoter of the rights of people with disabilities. I plan to use what I've learned in my work with my local chapter of ADAPT in its efforts to raise awareness of issues effecting people with disabilities and to ensure they have the tools they need and the services they need to live in the community.  I also want to take this opportunity to thank all the people that help me raise money to attend the summit as I am very grateful to all of you. 

If you are a young adult with a disability, please consider being part of the next ADAPT Youth summit. If you're interested, please feel free to contact me at floreat19@aol.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment