Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Best Summer Foods/drinks

Here are some foods I like making/eating in the summer-just because they make me happy!


  • Smoothies-my parents got me a food processor so I can now make my own smoothies. My favorite is strawberry banana smoothies. (take about 4 frozen strawberries, 3 ice cubes, 1 banana, a couple of spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt, a little orange juice, mix it all together and you get a yummy smoothie!)
  • Yummy salad-last night I made a salad with spinach, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, walnuts, sliced onions and mushrooms, and some tunafish with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. 
  • Lemonade-when I was younger my siblings and I regularly established lemonade stands in front of our house. Once when we were really little a woman stopped by our stand and gave us this speech about how someone had told her that if people didn't stop at kids' lemonade stands it leaves them psychologically damaged. I always remembered that because the word "psychologically"was the longest word I'd ever heard at the time. I always remember it also because the woman didn't have any cash and so she "paid" us with a Snickers bar. She only had the one so we broke it into pieces and ate it (the "never take candy from strangers" rule flew out the window-no worries though-nothing untoward happened, it really was just chocolate.) I still like making lemonade although I now make it from frozen mixes-too lazy now to make it from scratch!
  • Ice cream-particularly from the MSU Dairy-their ice cream is too good to be allowed!
  • Rhubarb crumble-rhubarb only comes out on my family's farm around May or June. Basically you cut off leaf on the top of the rhubarb, peal the rhubarb, cut it into pieces, mix it with some other frozen fruit if you like, put the who mess into an oven-safe bowl, put brown sugar, butter and maybe honey on tome for crust and cook at 350 (I think) until the top is golden brown. It is best eaten with ice cream from the MSU dairy!

No comments:

Post a Comment