Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Memorable chocolate

"Chocolate is the first luxury. It has so many things wrapped up in it: deliciousness in the moment, childhood memories, and that grin-inducing feeling of getting a reward for being good."- Mariska Hargitay
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mariska_hargitay_574458

When I think of chocolate it does feel rather like a reward to me. I remember once when I was much younger, my sister, my brother and I would set up a lemonade stand outside our house.  My mum would help us make the lemonade and we'd sit outside on a plastic children's picnic table with lots of plastic cups and a big jug of lemonade an an easel displaying that we were selling it for 25 cents a cup. It has to be said that the road where my childhood home sits on  doesn't usually have a lot of traffic as it is  very rural road surrounded by farms, one of which is ours. However, quite a few people do bike down the road and it was our hope they'd stop and want lemonade. One day, I'll never forget, I was sitting out there with my siblings and a woman in a car stopped at our stand. She said that she stopped because she read somewhere that kids would be psychologically damaged if you didn't stop at their lemonade stands. (I remember thinking "psychologically damaged" was the longest phrase I'd ever heard at the time, but I digress.)  I remember that the woman said she didn't have any money but she did have a chocolate bar which she gave us to share. For whatever reason it didn't occur to us that you shouldn't take candy from strangers but it turned out to be fine as it really was just chocolate. So in that instance chocolate was a lovely reward and currency!

No comments:

Post a Comment