Saturday, July 4, 2020

Things I'd want in a "good" mystery

In continuation of things I'd want in "good" action movies, this time around I thought I'd write about what I think a "good" mystery ought to have. So just for the heck of it, I thought I'd write about what I think a good mystery.

  • An unexpected ending-While a predictable endings can sometimes be satisfying, unpredictable ones are more fun because they make me think about things more.
  • A really smart detective chief inspector (preferably funny)-A detective that's really smart and funny and basically is the smartest person in the story is needed because without a Detective Chief Inspector, catching villain isn't as much fun to me.
  • A clever villain-it needs to be someone who almost (but not quite) outsmarts detectives but has many dimensions to their personality. I think villains are interesting if there are many layers to them.
  • A dog-stories are still better with a dog involved.
  • An old lady that seems really senile but in the end she's really smart and might just end up saving the day despite the detective's best efforts.
So those are a few things I'd like to have in a good mystery. I hope that in life you find many mysteries and many mystery stories to enjoy. I send you best wishes now and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment