Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sen. Kaine habla en Español

Two days ago Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) gave a full 14 minute speech in Spanish about immigration reform. In his speech he discussed the importance of comprehensive reform and gave examples of how people could be helped by this reform as well as its historical foundation. The immigration debate aside, what I really liked about the speech was that at least to me it shows that the Senate and the government in general can and should speak for all people in this country, even people who might not speak English. I think what makes this country great is its diverse population and I think this speech supports that idea through recognizing the value of speaking another language. Since I like singing these ideas got me thinking that if we all always sang the same tune (e.g. spoke the same language all the time) then there wouldn't be as much harmony and beauty in our society and I like living in a society that's really harmonious!

To hear Senator Kaine's full speech see below.


No comments:

Post a Comment