Sunday, December 1, 2013

Favorite Holiday Movies

Since it's December I was just thinking of things I liked to watch with my family when I was younger (particularly on days when it was bitterly cold outside.) In the off chance you haven't seen some of them, here's a list of films my family and I especially like. I hope you enjoy them as well!
  • The Snowman-It's a short cartoon movie about a boy who builds a snowman that comes to life and they go on a trip to the North Pole to see Father Christmas. Other than accompanying music and a beautiful song sung by a choir boy called "Walking in the Air" none of the characters actually speak in this movie but it is a rather beautiful film. I always liked it.
  • Miracle on 34th Street (the 1947 version) Father Christmas is hired by Macy's to work in its store over the Christmas holidays. While there, a skeptical little girl questions whether the man in the jolly red suit is really Father Christmas and eventually comes to the conclusion that Santa really does exist after all. I still believe in the idea of Santa since to me he symbolizes faith and love and well, everything that holidays are typically about. 
  • It's a Wonderful Life: Follows the life of George Bailey and the difficulties he faces and how he grows to see that despite his troubles his life still has a lot of value to the people around him  and he learns that he really does have a wonderful life. I like this movie because it shows that even when things see really hard, life is still worth living and wouldn't be the same if we weren't here. Everyone has the capacity to touch so many other lives for the better which is an incredible gift and that to me is one of the many things that make life great.
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas-A green monster decides to steal Christmas from the Whos in Whoville with the help of his long suffering dog. However, the Grinch's heart grows bigger when he meets a little girl who helps persuade him to bring Christmas back. There's a song in this cartoon that I think is sung by Orson Welles that I liked because when I was in my high school's choir we had a lot of fun singing it!
  • A Christmas Carol: Ebenezer Scrooge-a man obsessed with money learns the errors of his ways through being visited by 3 ghosts who show his past Christmases, what's happening in the current Christmas and what might happen in the future because of his misdeeds. After this he becomes a better man and helps people. I like the 1970s movie version because it's a musical and to me stories seem happier when set to music somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment