Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Maggie's amazing crisis plan

I took a class in crisis management in school and as part of the class and based off of what I learned in it, I created a plan as to what I'd do in a crisis. Since a blizzard is headed my way this weekend I thought I'd post it in the hope that  it helps give some people ideas as to what to do to prepare for all hell to break loose!  The list read as follows:

What Maggie Will Do if she's in a crisis

1-I'll pack a bag with basic necessities: warm clothes to last 3-5 days, granola bars, flashlight, blanket, trail mix (essential), tooth brush, toothpaste, and other vital necessities to be decided later . (If I manage to plan ahead before the crisis hits) I'll get a gallon of water and take enough money out of my bank account to last a few days in case I have to walk somewhere far and need supplies (in case credit card/ATM machines aren't working.)

2- Since I don't have any relatives living near me to go to, and most of my friends live in the same city with me (thus meaning they'd probably be evacuated too) I'd find a shelter (which will hopefully be set up close by her apartment. If it's not close by then I'll try and take public transport to it. If public transport isn't working then I'd try and take a taxi, if that fails then I'll walk-I can be tough!)

3. If I couldn't get to a shelter for some reason, I'd batten down the hatches in my apartment (e.g. try and tape down the windows, unplug all appliances except maybe the fridge as I'd hold out hope that the power might miraculously stay on so my food doesn't get soggy. I'd then proceed to camp out in my bathroom, with my flashlight and a big container of trail mix for comfort and pray to God and all that's holy to deliver me out of the storm in one piece!

4. Modes of communication: If cell phone service and internet go out I do have a battery powered radio that I might be able to use to send a message (I have to read up on this as I'm not sure if that's possible.) Another slightly problematic factor with the radio is that I managed to break it recently and now also have to figure out how to fix it. Come to think of it, if a crisis strikes tomorrow things aren't looking so good for me in terms of my ability to communicate with the outside world. It would be at that point that I'd wish I had an owl like Harry Potter's owl or some similar bird. I think they would be very handy in a time of natural disaster to send messages if the postal services, internet and all that were out of commission. (Then again I'd have to train the owl and although they're pretty cool from a distance, owls do tend to intimidate me. Plus, the poor thing might die/get blown off course in a strong wind. Also where can one get a nice owl for keeps these days?). I thought about trying to get a passenger pigeon/homing pigeon but I think they might be sadly extinct-not much hope for me on that front then.

Anyway, as you can see, I think I have a halfway decent plan worked out-hope it serves as inspiration as to what you all could do. Stay safe, and if all else fails, get some trail mix and camp out in the bathroom!

1 comment: