Monday, August 19, 2013

I love emoticons!

I can't help myself- I love emoticons. It seems so funny to me that the word "emoticon" sounds so technical and sciencefiction-ey, and all it refers to is how computer symbols can be grouped together to look like an emotion on someone's face-such as :) for smiling. At least for personal e-mails I think it's nice to be able to end a sentence with something that looks like a smile. My other favorite "emoticon" is :P - for people who don't know, it's supposed to show someone's tongue sticking out. Frankly there are times when I'm feeling a bit squiffy  (grumpy) about how things might be going and how the world doesn't always seem so fair. At those times, it's nice to know that at the very least I can use a series of computer symbols to vent my feelings by sticking my emoticon tongue out at the world for a second. It makes me laugh and feel slightly rebellious-not quite sure why. Despite my momentary rebellion, I end up deleting that symbol quickly so people don't realize that underneath my supposedly mature exterior lies a little kid that just won't grow up. (Crap, I guess my secret is out now, at least to the people that read this blog. Oh well, can't be helped!) To end, the thing I like best about emoticons is that it shows me that people have the ability to make even computers smile. Even if it is from a machine, I still think a smile is a smile and at least to me, there can never be enough smiles!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment