Thursday, October 10, 2013

I hope Malala wins the Nobel Peace Prize

A lot of people inspire me but one such person is Malala Yousafzai. No one should ever be denied an education for any reason. The fact that Malala was willing to speak out against the Taliban and about going to school and almost lost her life because of her actions and the fact that she's still going strong despite all that she's gone through is truly amazing to me.

 In some ways I identify with Malala in the sense that education was not always seen as an option for me. I was born with a severe medical condition and for a time it was thought that I might not be educable. I think because my family believed in me and refused to give up and never let me give up, I did get a really good education and I'm better for it. Similarly, because Malala can can go to school and because she believes in education for all, I believe there's no limit to what she can do. I think the more opportunities she has to speak out, the farther her message will spread. I saw her speak on the Daily Show and she told Jon Stewart that if the Taliban tried to kill her again she'd tell them how important education is and that she'd want education for the Taliban's children as well. That statement to me seems to embody peace or at least peaceful resistance. I hope that no matter what happens she never lets anyone silence her. 

See below for her interview on the Daily Show.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment