Sunday, March 10, 2013

Maggie's experience of the cell phone

 Since the "fastest smartphone ever" is going to be released later this week, it got me thinking about how I got introduced and now can't seem to do without  a cell phone. When I was really little I think I had my first experience with the cell phone via the "cordless phone." I liked cordless phones because not only did it not have a cord, but... you could take it into another room that didn't have a phone in it, close the door and talk in private AND THAT WAS SO COOL!   

Needless to say, when my parents gave me an actual cell phone when I started driving, that seemed really cool too. I especially liked playing with the ringtones on the phone. Although that particular phone I believe, had approximately 5 different ringtones, I enjoyed "testing out" each of these ringtones frequently, much to the annoyance of my siblings. (I really liked the "marimba" ringtone-it made me think that I was on some exotic tropical island-so whenever the phone rang it was a strangely exhilarating experience.)

Now that I've graduated to a smartphone I have all these "apps" at my fingertips that I can't seem to do without. For example, since I'm directionally challenged (to the point where if you looked up the word "lost" in the dictionary, you'd probably find my picture in place of the word,) the Google Maps app has revolutionized my life. I now know I am where I'm supposed to be if the little dot that is me on Google Maps miraculously appears at my designated destination point! It's also nice to be able to carry around lots of music to listen to as well. Anyway, it seems that now I'm so attached to my phone that I'm actually quite upset if/when I lose the damn thing. However, it's also true that I have in fact managed to live without my phone when I'm on vacation someplace where I can't take the phone. It was at those times when it was strangely nice to not to have to be so wired in every sense of the word and compelled to answer every call as soon as it comes in, even if I'm really busy. So now  I choose to rebel! I won't be rushing out to get that  "fastest smartphone yet!" I will resist! I will resist! (Even though I won't be getting rid of my iPhone anytime soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment