Sunday, February 16, 2014

Everyone should have a chance to read no matter where you are

I love reading and so I was pleased when I was recently able to help some people read too albeit indirectly The other day I went and volunteered at Prison Book which is an organization that works out of in Quincy, MA that provides books to people who are incarcerated. Prison Book gets letters from people in jails all over the country asking for books and the organization mails the books to them. The books are donated from individuals and Lucy Parsons Bookstore as prisons largely require that donated books have to come from bookstores. Prison Book rents out space from the United First Parish Church which is where I went to volunteer. Fun fact: two US Presidents -John Adams and his son John Quincy Adams are buried in the church, which is pretty cool to me.

Anyway, I went to the church and helped wrap up books to send off to the people that ordered them. I met some great people who were working there and the idea that I was doing something that helped people read and have something to look forward to was a nice feeling for me. I think that no matter who you are what your situation might be, reading is something everyone should be able to do. The thing I love most about books is that when I'm reading them I feel free, like anything is possible. I hope that the books I wrapped up help give that feeling to someone else because it feels so good.

Prison Book is always looking for volunteers and you can pretty much just show up on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-9pm at 1306 Hancock Street, Suite 100, Quincy, MA 02169.  (Although if it is your first visit they like it if you get there at 6). They also have special Saturday hours once a month (The next one is Mach 15 from10AM-4PM.)If you have a big group who would like to help out they ask that you call 617-423-3298. Volunteering for Prison book was a great experience for me and I hope even more people do it because reading is a gift for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment