Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The first Cracker Jack prize was created today!

Today in 1913 for the first time a prize was inserted into a box of Cracker Jacks. Although I didn't really eat Cracker Jacks as a kid, I used to really like getting prizes out of cereal boxes as a kid. There was something nice about the idea that once my family finished a box of cereal there might be a prize left in it. Sometimes as an impatient kid I seriously thought about simply dumping out all the cereal, get the prize out and have done with it. I never acted on this idea although it was tempting. I think a part of me wanted to keep the surprise the way it was meant to be. I remember pulling a plastic cereal spoon out of one box once and thinking it was so cool because it changed color when it got wet. To me sometimes little surprises are the best. Even though I might not look for prizes in cereal boxes so much anymore, I still do look and hope for little surprises on a daily basis. For example, the other day I found that my workplace had hot chocolate for common use in the staff kitchen. To me it was a nice surprise because it meant that there was something warm and sweet waiting for me if I ever forgot to bring my own hot drink. It is little things like that, that when I find them, make me happy and in this case, warmer!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment