Saturday, February 8, 2014

I have a soft spot for people who fall even at the Olympics

I was watching the Olympics today and I saw a ski jumper fall as he was landing on the ground after jumping. Watching it my friend and I winced when we saw the guy fall and yet I was thinking about how weird it was that I admired the guy more for falling. It's not that I wanted him to fall, I didn't want that at all, it's just that it reminds me that everyone falls sometimes. I feel people are better because they fall. I think about winning and I think about how it might not feel so good if people won without facing any setbacks.

Watching the skier reminded me of a commercial I saw recently about how moms help their kids get back up. I also remember seeing another story about a man in one of the summer Olympics who fell when he was running. What was moving about the story was how he insisted on finishing the race and walking the rest of the way to the finish line with the help of his father who ran out on to the track to help his son. To me, these people are still winners because they got to the Olympics and I know that their hard work will pay off. I cheer most for the people that fall because they always get back up again!


No comments:

Post a Comment