Friday, November 14, 2014

Maggie versus inanimate objects

"Never fight an inanimate object." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have not followed P.J. O'Rourke's advice (perhaps it goes with my slightly misguided mentality of not following instructions until all else fails.) So here are some inanimate objects that made me struggle but I beat them in the end so there!


  • I can't stand cling wrap-every time I try and wrap up sandwiches I somehow feel like I'm waging a small war with a thing that seems to want to stick to me. However I do get a strange sense of satisfaction in tearing it off its roll-it feels like a small victory. Although I do prefer sandwich bags-they do make life so much easier. 
  • I also have trouble with jars that are stuck down tight. I twist and turn them and then I get all scientific-like and stick them under hot water. It's one of the very few things I remember from science classes in school-it appears I actually learned something from those classes despite my best efforts.) Somehow sticking the jar under hot water and drying it off and then twisting the top seems to work quite well. This proves that one can also scientifically beat an inanimate object.
  • To be fair to inanimate objects, there is one that continues to beat me-it is (dum dum dum) a lighter! I don't know what it is but I have tremendous difficulty with lighters. Every time I think I've actually got it to light something the thing burns out! Perhaps it's a blessing since I don't know what I'd do once I got the fire started. Still, I plan to keep trying and one day I'll win my longstanding battle with lighters too!

No comments:

Post a Comment