Sunday, November 16, 2014

Tolerance

"On this International Day of Tolerance, I call on all people and governments to actively combat fear, hatred and extremism with dialogue, understanding and mutual respect. Let us advance against the forces of division and unite for our shared future."
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
As today is International Day Tolerance I was inspired to write the following:

When I think about tolerance
I wish I could just make hate disappear altogether
I wouldn't mind a bit more peace in the world
In fact, I just wish wars would cease to be
They just never made much sense to me

Since hating makes me tired, I'd rather love people instead
Because in loving people I feel a happiness nothing can match
When I think about loving people somehow I don't feel afraid
Maybe in that sense love has helped me feel rather brave
Even if it's sometimes hard to do I still want to love people all the same

I may not always understand others (or myself)
But I do know that I respect people 
And I want to learn to listen to them more
Even if I disagree with what they say 
I find I learn more in doing things that way

I want to be even more tolerant than I am now
Because I figure if I really want to help someone
I have to know where they're coming from 
And now to end I just want to say I care about you
Because we're all connected as part of the human race




No comments:

Post a Comment