Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Progress for people with disabilities in Boston!

I went to the Boston Center for Independent Living's (BCIL) Annual meeting this evening. I think what I enjoyed most about it was learning more about what BCIL has been doing to help people with disabilities. For example, they've helped young people with disabilities live outside nursing homes where they would otherwise have been confined. They've also helped young people with disabilities get jobs. What I found to be especially moving were the speakers. There was a man who had gotten a job with the help of BCIL and a woman who advocated on behalf of domestic workers and their rights. Plus, one of my good friends, Allegra Stout got an award for her services to the disability community, which she richly deserved. I figure if people must fight for something I'm glad that there are people like those in BCIL who fight to ensure others can have a better and brighter future. Maybe one day people with disabilities won't have to struggle to get the services they need and to live as independently as possible. Right now I live in the comforting knowledge that we have amazing people that will fight on until that day comes. Congratulations to Allegra and BCIL!

No comments:

Post a Comment